Monday, August 20, 2007

What they should have told me at graduation


We've all heard the term mid life crisis. I know to expect a guy in his 40's will drive a sports car & want to date a twenty year old. I don't like it, but I know that it's a distinct possibility because I've heard the phrase mid life crisis so much.

What no one told me about is my quarter life crises. It hit right after college when I realized that life wasn't what I expected. It sent me into a tailspin. I've seen a lot of my friends go through the same thing, I was probably in desperate need of a life coach.

I've been listening to the "Getting Started Series: Having a say in how your life turns out by Clay Nelson". All my life I've been focusing on not being in a bad mood. All this does is create more guilt when I am in a bad mood. However, I learned that it's OK to have bad days, just don't get stuck in them. Have tools prepared to get you out of them. One of the CD names was "Why Do I have to Grow?". This was pretty much the questions I asked from the ages 21-23. You can read more about it at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/11/prweb473749.htm. These CD's were everything that I wish they would have told me at college graduation, it could have prevented my quarter life crisis, or at least gotten me out of it sooner.

1 comment:

LEstes65 said...

My personal experience with the midlife (or mid time period of any kind) crisis is that there is a real problem with people these days - they resent having to grow up. Not everyone. But in my own circle of friends, it just happens to be all the men. They all married women who joined the real world and stepped up each time they found a step. The boys in our clan, however, seemed to meet that step and just piss and moan about how unfair it is that there are steps in life. So they all sat down on the step and figured they'd let their wives figure it all out.

And you know how the midlife crisis of my own future ex went. Gack.

I'm impressed that you're actually taking steps to learn about bettering yourself now. Most people wait until their in their 40s and are sitting pouting on one of those steps.

You are the bomb diggity.