Monday, June 25, 2007

Lightning

I was recently reading a novel that just mentioned in passing that the entire idea of "If you're in a thunderstorm, count the time between the sound of thunder & the sound of lightning. It's a mile for second between the thunder & the lightning" was false. I thought that this was completely bonkers, it's common knowledge that this is true, right?

I did some research & apparently, you take the total number of seconds between thunder & lightning, & then divide by five. So if there were ten seconds between the thunder & lightning, you'd only be two miles away from it, not ten. However, stray lightning can strike ten miles away or more. On a sidenote, rubber shoes do not protect you from lightning, & you shouldn't sit on the ground, be close to another person, take a bath, or use a phone with a cord during a lightning storm.

2 comments:

LEstes65 said...

Interestingly - I had to take Big Brother to the doc today during an electrical storm. Not a fan of walking out the door in the stuff. While at a red light, I watched a huge fork come down about 2 miles away (maybe less). The sound was almost instantaneous. And where it hit, I watched a huge explosion of sparks and then smoke. I will be watching the news tonight, to be sure!

Anonymous said...

Are you suggesting that taking a bath inside my house during a lightning storm will somehow attract lightning strikes to my house?