Friday, February 12, 2010

Why are People Superstitious?

I know, I know Google is the most popular search engine. I'm ok with that. I use MSN as my homepage and Google for searches. Why? Well MSN has pretty pictures and stories on it and that's all I need to know.

Today "The Origins of 13 Enduring Superstitions" caught my eye. I thought it was just going to be the basic "people are afraid of broken mirrors" article but it really branched out into the psychology of superstitions. Basically, what all of these superstitions have in common are a lack of control. A good example the story used was Olympic athletes who wear lucky clothes before the big event. I wish they'd at least wear something fashionable like Hudson jeans instead of sticking with the same old sweat socks. The athlete has already done everything they can do and now they just have to wait until it's their turn to perform so in that space of time they turn really superstitious as something to do in order to get the outcome they want.

No comments: