Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Is Corn a Vegetable?

It had never really occurred to me that corn could be a grain. I always grouped it in the vegetable category. I'm pretty sure that in the nutrition charts I saw in elementary school there were ears of corn. Back then all vegetables were a part of being healthy and getting low cost health insurance. Then there's always that rogue person who insists that it's fruit.

I went looking for the answer and still some other people thought that corn is a grain. I came across a lot of sites that asked the question and no one answered it. According to an article that cites all kinds of stuff including the agricultural school of something or other, corn is all three. If it's dried, it's a grain. All I know is that it's yummy.

1 comment:

Barrie said...

And it's a fuel too, right? Very versatile!!