Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Nothing rhymes with

I just saw a shirt that had a picture of fruit & over the fruit were words that rhyme with that fruit like Montana over Banana. (Yes it would be very helpful if I had a picture to show you, sadly, I do not). Then an orange is crying next to the other fruit & the shirt is entitled "Nothing rhymes with orange".

This was a conversation I had a lot in my childhood, I don't know why exactly this was so important to us. We were determined to find a word that rhymed with orange, because most words have something that will rhyme with them. The closest we ever came was d'range which was a made up shortening of doorhinge. It' s just a nice random fact to bring up in conversation, nothing rhymes with orange. Then you can just sit back & watch the other person make a fool of themselves while they try to rhyme.

5 comments:

LEstes65 said...

I love the door'inge. LOVE it.

I'm thinking that, while one single word might not rhyme with orange, I bet Eminem could figure out a way to write phrasing where the end of one word and the beginning of the next rhymed with orange. His rhyming prowess amaze me even as his lyric frighten and confuse me.

pHr0sT said...

http://media.threadless.com/subs/big/72444.gif

Anonymous said...

eminem has already 'rhymed with orange'


"Then I got up and ran to the janitor's storage booth.
Kicked the door hinge loose and ripped out the four inch screws.
Grabbed some sharp objects, brooms, and foreign tools.
"This is for every time you took my orange juice, …"

(from Brain Damage by Eminem)

source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Rhyme

Unknown said...

He also rhymed "orange" in the song "Kill you", one of his lyrically best.

A bloodstain is orange after you wash it three or four times
in a tub but that's normal ain't it Norman?




Here's the song link. The rhyme is around 2:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQNhfyXElso

Enjoy

Anonymous said...

Orange has no rhymes if pronounced correctly, but even the erudite TV show QI fell into the trap of pronouncing it "Orringe" - when it has lots of rhymes. The "a" in orange is a short vowel, so strange, grange etc do not rhyme with it either.