Sunday, September 9, 2007

Is a word & shouldn't be: Smidgen

Ok, so I was pretty upset about the fact that themself is not a word. I'm even more upset to realize that smidgen is a word. In fact, it's a word that my spell checker recognizes. I always thought that was a made up word from "Full House". I remember the scene where Lori Laughlin was trying to cook meatloaf & needed a smidgen of something. She said, "Well it must be the size of a small pigeon".

In fact, a smidgen or smidgin or smidgeon means a very small amount. (Yes all three of those are acceptable spellings, none of which mean the size of a small piegon). Smidgen, a word that sounds made up, but is in fact, not.




Technorati : , , , ,

1 comment:

LEstes65 said...

Oh I know that word well. I grew up learning to cook/bake from one of the best. And there are SO many cookbooks that seriously have that as a measurement. I even have measuring spoons with teeny spoons that say "Smidgen" and "Pinch" on them. HA!