Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Technicolor Facts

I've always loved Technicolor films like The Wizard of Oz. they always look so much better than regular color. Here are some random facts that I gathered from wikipedia about Technicolor. I doubt I'll be finding employment in the area anytime soon. I don't really understand the process, I just know that it looks awesome.

  • I was surprised to find out that Technicolor was actually a film process from the Technicolor Motion Picture Corporation. The term Technicolor describes four separate concepts.
  • The spell checker makes me capitalize Technicolor. It's that important.

  • Here is the two strip process of Technicolor. I didn't put it in my own words because I knew I'd just mess it up.
    In Process 1 (1917), a prism beam-splitter behind the camera lens exposed two adjacent frames of a single strip of black and white negative film simultaneously, one behind a red filter, the other behind a green filter. Because two frames were being exposed at the same time, the film had to be photographed and projected at twicethe normal speed. Process 2 (1922) (cited by academics originally as "two-strip" Technicolor, although the term is erroneously used for Technicolor's first three formats). As before, the special Technicolor camera used a prism beam-splitter to expose simultaneously two adjacent frames of a single strip of black and white film, one behind a green filter and one behind a red filter. The difference came in the creation of the print. The frames exposed behind the green filter were printed on one strip of black and white film, and the frames exposed behind the red filter were printed on another strip.

  • Required special Technicolor camera.
  • Technicolor required a lot more lighting than black & white film which meant it was a very expensive process.

No comments: