Saturday, January 10, 2009

What does the real McCoy mean?

The other day I said something was the real McCoy. I usually don't say this phrase a lot because I don't like using cliches. As soon as I said it, it bothered me. Not just because it's overused but because I really don't know why it's a phrase. Of course I know that the phrase means that something is the real deal. House hunters use it a lot when they see wood flooring in a home because it's an unexpected selling point that's hard to imitate.

I went over to wikipedia to find where it comes from. Surprise surprise, no one else knows where it comes either. There are several theories. My favorite is about a boxer named Kid McCoy. He feigned weakness during a match to bait his opponent & an announcer purportedly said "which is the real McCoy?" Others claim it had to do with William S. McCoy who was a rum runner during Prohibition. He didn't water down his products. I guess the phrase the real McCoy isn't the real McCoy.

No comments: