Monday, November 10, 2008

What determines leaf color?

If I was a leaf I would want to be an orange one. Recently, I've seen several trees that resemble a las vegas strip map because their colors are so varied. I like to think that each leaf gets to pick which color it will be. However, there is this pesky thing called science that thinks differently. So I started reading up at wikipedia as to what determines a leaf's color.

When the chlorophyll that makes the leaf green starts to fade carotenoids & anthocyanins take over. Carotenoids are present in everything from egg yolks to bananas. They give color to trees like maples, aspens & cottonwoods which have bright yellow or orange autumn leaves.

Anthocyanins are different from carotenoids because the pigment isn't inside the leaf year round. Anthocyanins develop in the late summer & depend on the breakdown of sugars. They are at their most vivid when the days are bright & the nights are cool without freezing.

I believe this is why the phrase clear as mud was invented.

No comments: